Australian Work Visas


The Australian Government’s Department of Immigration website provides details of the different visa’s on offer. Typically 457 and 417 visas are the most relevant for people looking to relocate temporarily with the right to work – but before you book anything you need to do your research to ensure you are legally allowed to work in Australia. Be Sure to check all of the limitations associated with each visa before you apply.

To obtain information on general skilled migration to Australia you need to read Booklet 6: General Skilled Migration, which is available online from the booklets section of the immigration website.


If you have the required qualifications and/or employment experience, an organisation may sponsor you to work in their Australian business under the Subclass 457 Temporary Business Visa.

If granted, this visa allows you to work for your sponsoring employer for up to four years, after which you can apply for another temporary business visa through them or another employer. Once you have moved to Australia, if you are granted permanent residency , you do not need to apply for another temporary business visa.


You can also use the services of a Registered Migration Agent to submit the business visa application on your behalf. In Australia, migration agents must be registered with the Office of the MARA (Migration Agents Registration Authority).

Registered migration agents are bound by a Code of Conduct, are required to have an in-depth knowledge of Australian migration law and procedures and to meet high professional and ethical standards.

The Office of the MARA regulates Australia’s registered migration agents to ensure clients receive high quality immigration assistance, and protect the interests of people receiving immigration assistance.

You can find a list of registered migration agents here:


Within four weeks of arriving in Australia, you must visit a DIAC (Department of Immigration & Citizenship) office to have your visa placed in your passport.

A list of offices including opening hours can be found at DIAC Offices

All visa applications are processed and decided by the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship Although an employer may be willing to sponsor an eligible employee under a sponsorship program they have no control over the granting or otherwise of visa’s to individual applicants.