Now that you have completed your studies, you may like to stay in Australia or New Zealand and continue working while you gain the necessary PER requirements to convert to Member status. If you are not already a resident you will need a valid work visa, which can be obtained through skilled migration schemes or employer sponsorship. Alternatively, you might consider obtaining a student visa for entry into either country. This allows you to do additional study with a recognised tuition provider while working part-time (up to 20 hours per week).

ACCA Approved Employers for Trainee Development are limited across Australia and New Zealand. As such, most ACCA Affiliates will gain their work experience with employers who are not ACCA Approved. As long as the experience being gained is relevant and supervised – by a qualified accountant (such as a member of ACCA, CPA (Certified Practicing Accountants) Australia, IPA (Institute of Public Accountants), CAANZ (Chartered Certified Accountants in Australia & New Zealand), it can count towards ACCA PER.


Recently, ACCA has completely refreshed its PER guide which sets out everything Students and Affiliates need to know to achieve their PER.

The guide contains a range of useful information including:

  • what trainees should do if they are studying full time
  • how to get the right type of work experience
  • what a workplace mentor is and who can be one
  • how to target Performance Objectives and answer challenge questions
  • tips for using My Experience.

The new PER Guide can be found on the PER support section of the website.